RV Clione CLI3/85
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Clione (74CN)|
|Cruise period||1985-02-25 — 1985-03-11|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To collect suspended solids and water samples in the wake of sewage sludge dumping vessels in the Barrow Deep for chemical analysis. Abandoned
2. To collect Modiolus and other epifauna off the Humber and elsewhere for biological, chemical and bacteriological analysis.
3. To collect sediments by grabbing and coring for physical, biological, microbiological and chemical analysis, as required, at various localities off the N E coast including (a) Tyne and sewage sludge dumping ground and (b) Fly ash and colliery waste dumping ground.
4. To investigate the dispersion of liquid industrial waste in the vicinity of the Tees dumping ground by water sampling and Aquatracka.
5. To investigate the dispersion of sewage sludge by various techniques off the Tyne by water sampling for bacteriological analysis and oyster embryo bioassay.
6. To conduct brief monitoring surveys over various dredged spoil dumping grounds off the N E coast and elsewhere using side-scanning sonar and grabbing.
7. To conduct side-scanning sonar surveys and associated grabbing and coring in the vicinity of (a) Roughs Tower and (b) Barrow Deep dumping grounds.
8. To deploy underwater Mark V camera and TV over dumping grounds off the N E coast, Humber and Barrow Deep.
9. To collect sediments by grabbing from widely spaced sites off the E and N E coast for chemical and physical analysis.
10. To collect Pecten maximus from off Northumberland for PSP analysis.
|Chief scientist||Michael S Rolfe (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Burnham Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.23 MB)|
|Suspended matter||Quantity: number of samples = 96|
|Petroleum residues||Quantity: number of samples = 7|
|Chlorinated hydrocarbons||Quantity: number of samples = 7|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 3|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 3|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 5|
Description: 2m beam trawl stations.
|Molluscs||Quantity: number of hauls = 16|
Description: Newhaven scallop dredges.
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 25|
Description: 0.1 m2 Day grab.
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of cores = 1|
|Long/short range side scan sonar||Description: small survey|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Quantity: number of deployments = 3|
Description: underwater tv survey