RV Clione CLI6/86
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Clione (74CN)|
|Cruise period||1986-05-14 — 1986-05-29|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To measure the incidence of unfertilised eggs in the Thames Estuary sole spawning.
2. To measure the specific gravity of wild sole eggs in different development stages.
3. To determine the time of sole spawning.
4. To measure the non-predatory mortality of sole eggs.
5. To identify predators of sole eggs.
6. To catch spawning female sole for the measurement of egg composition.
7. To catch live polychaetes to provide the basis of a living food supply for sole rearing.
8. To obtain mackerel samples for stomach analysis (Mrs Dawson).
9. To obtain 20 live lesser spotted dogfish, 20 flounders and 12 sole more than 20 cm for UEA (Mr Scholes)
10. To obtain 40 to 50 live dabs for experimental work on fecundity.
11. To exchange stomach samples with RIVO, Ijmuiden (Mr Harding and Drs Daan).
|Chief scientist||R G Houghton (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.12 MB)|
|Specific||S. North Sea|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 20|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 20|
|Demersal fish||Description: hauls made using the Portuguese High Headline Trawl for potential egg predators.|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 16|