RV G A Reay GAR4/86
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV G A Reay (74GD)|
|Cruise period||1986-06-18 — 1986-06-29|
|Port of departure||Plymouth, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Plymouth, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To recover two current meter rigs 097 and 098 deployed in November on the slopes at 500m.
2. To deploy two identical rigs in the same positions as 097 and 098 as part of a long term study into seasonal changes along the slopes.
3. To study mixing on the slopes and shelf-break using the RVS Neil Brown CTD referenced to a drogued dhan buoy.
4. In conjunction with the above expectected, zooplankton samples to be taken on station using vertical nets and the 2" hosing plus Flygt pump.
5. To measure sea surface temperature, salinity, chlorophyll 'a', transmission and inorganic nutrients continuously via the overside pump together with discrete samples of zooplankton.
6. To deploy three satellite tracked drifting buoys with sheet drogues at 47N/16W, 48N/16W and 49N/16W.
|Chief scientist||Robin D Pingree (Marine Biological Association of the UK)|
|Cruise report||(0.15 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Specific||Western Approaches and Bay of Biscay|
|Track charts||(00 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: track kilometres = 1482|
|Bathythermograph||Quantity: number of profiles = 50|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 30|
Description: S surface only
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 150|
|Transparency (eg transmissometer)||Quantity: track kilometres = 1481.6|
|Current meters||Quantity: 6|
Description: recovered;7 months
|Nitrate||Quantity: track kilometres = 1481.6|
|Nitrite||Quantity: track kilometres = 1481.6|
|Silicate||Quantity: track kilometres = 1481.6|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: track kilometres = 1481.6|
|Acoustic reflection on marine organisms.||Quantity: track kilometres = 926|