RV Cirolana CIR7/87
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1987-08-11 — 1987-09-09|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a groundfish survey of the North Sea using a standard Granton trawl in order to obtain information on: (i) Distribution and abundance of all fish species; (ii) Length and age distributions of commercially important species; (iii) Distribution of fish in relation to their environment; (iv) Distribution of macrobenthos and especially of suberites; (v) Gadoid interactions through collection of stomachs of cod, whiting and saithe for the ICES programme on stomach analysis; (vi) Collection of fish and invertebrates for caesium measurements; (vii) Incidence of fish diseases over the North Sea.
2. Collection of live specimens of suberites living on hermit crabs for Mrs P Fry at Luton.
3. Collect specimens of O-group gadoids from midwater using an Isaacs Kidd Trawl for comparison with O-group gadoids taken in the Granton trawl Project. Gaa1 gadoid interactions through feeding.
4. Collect water samples for caesium analysis from the pumped water supply and using Niskin bottles.
5. Sample the environment using electronic sensors in the pumped water supply and using the instrument frame fo vertical sampling.
6. Sample near bottom plankton using a net mounted on the trawl.
7. All biological data will be entered to the fishing surveys data base using the HP 1000 computer.
8. All electronic instruments will be logged on the HP 1000.
9. Collect fish samples for other projects as required.
Additional aims not in the original programme:
10. To determine the distribution and abundance of Nephrops larvae off the English NE coast.
11. To take a Col commissioned film crew to sea to make a video for CSC aimed at recruiting young graduates into the Civil Service.
12. To collect stomachs of R. radiata and R. clavata for H. Sparholt (Denmark).
13. To collect live invertebrates for UEA.
|Chief scientist||Derek Harding (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.18 MB)|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 73|
|Trace metals||Quantity: number of stations = 63|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of stations = 33|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of stations = 33|
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 10|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 77|
Description: Granton trawl hauls.