RV Clione CLI2/87
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Clione (74CN)|
|Cruise period||1987-01-28 — 1987-02-04|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. The collection of stage IV female plaice gonads from the Hinder Grounds for a study of year by year fecundity variation (sub-project DDB2).
2. Twenty four hour collections of gonads and blood samples from stage IV to VII female plaice to establish whether there is a diurnal periodicity of ovulation of egg batches which matches the known diurnal periodicity in the appearance of stage I eggs in the plankton (DDB4).
3. Bulk collections of blood and pituitaries from mature plaice (or dab) to support Canario's PhD project on the hormonal control of meiotic maturation and ovulation in flatfishes (DDB4).
4. Collection of live mature plaice for Canario's work (DDB4), of live spent plaice for Annular tank experiments (DDE2) and of cod for pancreatic islet experiments (Prof. N Hales, Cambridge).
5. Collection of cod guts for Dr M Thorndyke, Royal Holloway and Bedford College.
6. Collection of frozen pancreatic islets for Prof. N Hales, Cambridge.
7. Collection of gadoid and plaice gonads, and of fresh cod blood for genetic DNA studies, for Dr P Smith of the University of Birmingham.
|Chief scientist||Alexander Pickering Scott (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.09 MB)|
|Specific||Brown Ridge, Hinder Ground - Southern Bight|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 24|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: number of hauls = 4|