RV Cirolana CIR7/88
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1988-08-11 — 1988-09-11|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a groundfish survey of the North Sea using a standard Granton trawl in order to obtain information on: (a) Distribution and abundance of all fish species; (b) Length aned age distributions of commercially important species; (c) Distribution of fish in relation to their environment; (d) Distribution of macrobenthos, (e) Prevalence of disease in dab.
2. To collect fish and water samples for caesium analysis from a grid of stations in the North Sea.
3. To carry out a survey of caesium in sea-water in the Skagerrat, Kattegat and Norwegian Trench.
4. To collect live invertebrates for UEA.
5. To collect approximately 400 live mature specimens of Zoarces viviparus from Gothenburg. (D Woodhead)
6. To collect samples of herring for a parasite tagging project. (K McKenzie, DAFS)
7. To collect live specimens of suberites (Mrs P Fry, Luton).
8. To collect two samples of mackerel ovaries from the NE North Sea for developmental studies (P Witthames).
9. To collect deep freeze stomachs from cod >35cms (P Bromley)
10. To collect fish samples for other progjects as required.
11. To run an acoustic survey between trawl stations to monitor near bottom fish traces.
|Chief scientist||W G Parnell (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.15 MB)|
|General||Kattegat, Sound and Belts|
|Specific||North Sea, Skagerrak and Kattegat|
|Track charts||(00 MB)|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 77|
Description: 115 with S only CTD
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 112|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 77|
Description: Granton trawl hauls.