FRV Clupea 0388C
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Clupea (74CU)|
|Cruise period||1988-04-11 — 1988-04-29|
|Port of departure||Greenock, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Greenock, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To locate egg patches on Ballantrae Bank by means of grab and TV surveys.
2. To estimate patch size and spawn density using a "Day" grab.
3. To test the new TV plankon winch.
4. To deploy and recover a frame-mounted current meter on Ballantrae Bank.
5. To make temperature and salinity measurements over the Bank during the period of the cruise.
6. To deploy small mesh tangle nets in the vicinity of any spawn patches to examine fish predation on eggs and larvae.
7. To collect sandeels from grab samples to assess predation on herring eggs and larvae.
8. To carry out metre net surveys to check for newly-hatched herring larvae.
|Chief scientist||John A Morrison (Scottish Office Agriculture and Fisheries Department Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.16 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 14|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of hauls = 8|
|Eggs and larvae|
|Pelagic fish||Description: distribution,biomass determination|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of stations = 216|
Description: To enable an accurate map to be drawn of the extent of the egg patches.
|Bottom photography||Quantity: number of dives = 101|
Description: 101 Seapup Dives
|In-situ seafloor measurement/sampling||Description: sampling by divers & submersible|