FRV Scotia 1288S
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (749S)|
|Cruise period||1988-11-03 — 1988-11-22|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Greenock, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a survey of 0 and 1 group mackerel.
2. To monitor sea surface temperature and salinity throughout the survey.
3. To collect water samples for hydrographic investigation at the south eastern end of the Fair Isle - Munken Line.
4. To obtain fish, sediment and water samples from the area around the northern side of Piper Alpha.
5. To collect water samples for radio caesium monitoring.
6. To test a prototype navigator system for use on a sludge dumping vessels.
|Chief scientist||Martin Walsh (Scottish Office Agriculture and Fisheries Department Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.22 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||NW North Sea, Fair Isle Channel, west of Shetland and Orkney, continental shelf west of Scotland and Ireland, south of Ireland|
|Track charts||(00 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 5|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of stations = 2|
Description: water samples for radio-caesium analysis.
|Petroleum residues||Quantity: number of deployments = 4|
Description: sediment grab
|Bottom deposits||Quantity: number of samples = 8|
|Contaminants in organisms||Quantity: number of hauls = 1|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 52|
Description: monitoring, distribution
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 1|
|Acoustic reflection on marine organisms.|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: number of hauls = 1|
Description: hydrocarbon concentrations in organisms
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of deployments = 8|