RRS Challenger CH62B
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1989-12-06 — 1989-12-20|
|Port of departure||Cardiff, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To investigate the effects of sediment resuspension on the scavenging of dissolved radionuclides in the north-east Irish Sea. A 25-hour anchor will be worked with the NBVR deployed nearby
2. To examine the nature and rates of chemical processes in the seabed using 226Ra, ultrafiltration, incubation experiments, fine resolution sampling and selective leaching.
3. To collect water and sediment samples for 14C and 137Cs analysis at SURRC, East Kilbride, in support of a NERC/MAFF CASE Studentship.
4. To study the distribution and behaviour of transuranic and gamma-emitting artificial radionuclides in the western Irish Sea in collaboration with University College, Dublin.
5. To assess the importance of colloidal material on radionuclide scavenging using ultrafiltration and measuring the fractionation of 234Th.
6. To examine the surface properties of suspended particulates using CEC and selective leaching.
7. To investigate the impact of the Marchon (Whitehaven) and Springfields discharges on the distribution of naturally-occurring radionuclides.
8. To collect sediment cores for meiofaunal analysis in support of MAFF Commission AEB8.
9. To collect particulate material for analysis of Pu by Professor Kudo, NRC, Canada.
10. To collect particulate material and surface sediment for Dr Hamilton, Phoenix Research Laboratory, Devon.
11. To compare three systems for the ultrafiltration of colloidal material.
|Chief scientist||Peter John Kershaw (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.17 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 52|
Description: S surface and bottom only
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 14|
|Transparency (eg transmissometer)||Quantity: number of stations = 14|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 1|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 66|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of stations = 34|
Description: 14C and radio-caesium monitoring.
|Biology and fisheries|
|Particulate organic matter (inc POC, PON)||Quantity: number of stations = 4|
|Dissolved organic matter (inc DOC)||Quantity: number of stations = 8|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of stations = 3|
Description: description of communities
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 21|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of stations = 13|
Description: 34 physical/34 chemical analysis;geochronology