RV Corystes COR4/89
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1989-04-04 — 1989-04-18|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out plankton surveys using the 76cm High Speed Townet to determine the extent and timing of sole spawning off Trevose Head and the dispersal of spawning products, and to obtain early indicators of bass spawning in the Bristol Channel.
2. To deploy an ARGOS drifting buoy near the centre of sole spawning. The ARGOS drifting buoy was not released due to initial difficulties with signal reception.
3. To carry out a pre-recruit flatfish survey in the Bristol Channel using the commercial 4m beam trawl.
4. To collect gonads from mature soles sampled off Trevose Head.
5. To retrieve 6 current meter rigs laid earlier on CIROLANA 3/89 off Trevose Head.
6. To sample crab larvae using the High Speed Townet around the Cornish Peninsula. Lack of time prevented this.
|Chief scientist||David J Symonds (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.12 MB)|
|Specific||Bristol Channel and West English Channel|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 58|
Description: with salinity at surface only
|Current meters||Quantity: number of recoveries = 8|
Description: recovered with 40 days of data.
|Surface drifters/drifting buoys||Quantity: number of deployments = 500|
Description: Sea-bed drifters
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 109|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 109|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 39|
Description: 4m beam trawls.