RV Corystes COR13/89
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1989-12-08 — 1989-12-20|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To survey the Roughs Tower sewage sludge and dredged material disposal ground using grabbing, dredging and sidescan sonar.
2. To survey the Hastings Shingle Bank and Isle of Wight sand and gravel extraction sites using grabbing, sidescan sonar and underwater video.
3. To collect sediment samples for temporal trends monitoring of chemical contaminants from the sewage sludge disposal sites at Rough Tower, Nab, Exeter and Plymouth.
4. To collect sediment samples throughout the British sector of the English Channel as part of the JMG baseline study.
5. To process samples of water using XAD columns for laboratory analysis by an oyster embryo bioassay.
6. To collect samples of fish for chemical analysis from the English Channel.
Aims 1,2,3 and 5 were successfully completed. Aim 4 was only partially successful due to poor weather conditions and aim 6 had to be abandoned due to weather conditions.
|Chief scientist||Steven M Rowlatt (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Burnham Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.13 MB)|
|Specific||North Sea/ English Channel|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 12|
|Molluscs||Quantity: number of samples = 25|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Dredge||Quantity: number of deployments = 27|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 120|
|Long/short range side scan sonar|