RV Cirolana CIR8/90
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1990-08-15 — 1990-09-17|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Wallsend, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a groundfish survey of the North Sea using a Standard Granton trawl in order to obtain information on:
(a) Distribution and abundance of all fish species.
(b) Length and age distribution of commercially important species.
(c) Distribution of fish in relation to their environment.
(d) Distribution of macrobenthos.
2. To collect fish samples for Caesium analysis from a grid of stations in the North Sea.
3. To collect material for fish identification courses.
4. To provide fish samples for contaminant analysis for inclusion in the North Sea task Force Quality Status Report (A Franklin).
Additional aims received too late for inclusion in the original cruise programme:
5. To describe the seabed sediments at each trawl station using acoustic methods and Day grab sampling.
6. To run an acoustic survey between trawl stations to monitor mean bottom fish traces.
7. To collect samples of 0-group mackerel for otolith examination.
8. To deep freeze boxes of small fish for fish food.
9. To collect cod otoliths from Rounfish Area 2 and 4 for selection differential studies (C Rowell).
|Chief scientist||W G Parnell (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.11 MB)|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 83|
Description: surface S only
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 87|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 78|