RV Corystes COR8B/90
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1990-07-03 — 1990-07-19|
|Port of departure||Falmouth, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Falmouth, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To assess the distribution, abundance and population structure of scallop stocks off Cornwall, particuarly in two area S-SW of Plymouth and Wolf Rock.
2. To obtain photographic and video records of pre-recruit scallop abundance in these areas.
3. To carry out comparative dredging trials with a chartered scalloper.
4. To assess the recovery of scallop and benthos populations, and substrates on a plot dredged intensively by DFR in 1989.
5. To collect scallop gonad material and hydroids for studies of spawning and spat settlement respectively.
6. To conduct trials with the sector scanner stabilisation platform (for RSG 2).
7. To collect plaice samples for AEP 1 monitoring studies.
8. To carry out transect counts of seabird abundance and distribution (NCC). Not done due to the observer withdrawing from the cruise.
|Chief scientist||Peter J Dare (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.11 MB)|
|Specific||Western English Channel|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 5|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Crustaceans||Quantity: number of stations = 128|
Description: Scallop samples using dredge
|Geology and geophysics|
|Dredge||Quantity: number of deployments = 72|
Description: dredge tows
|Bottom photography||Quantity: number of stations = 12|
Description: seabed photography