RRS Discovery D193
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Discovery (74E3)|
|Cruise period||1990-06-30 — 1990-08-01|
|Port of departure||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To deploy 7 long term moorings on the Spanish Slope.
2. To deploy 1 deep mooring on East Thulean Rise.
3. To deploy 2 short term moorings on the Amorican shelf and 2 deep complex moorings in the Bay of Biscay.
4. To deploy STABLE and 2 bottom mounted ADCP's near the critical point for internal tides on the Amorican slopes.
5. To deploy a number of drogued Argos drifting buoys, some in mesoscale eddies.
6. To measure the productivity of shelf, slope and oceanic waters.
7. To investigate the propagation of internal tides and mixing using ADCP, SeaSoar, Echo Sounders and ship's radar.
|Chief scientist||Robin D Pingree (Plymouth Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(1.48 MB)|
|General||Bay of Biscay|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: number of measurements = 18|
Description: temperature measurements
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: track kilometres = 7408|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: number of samples = 76|
Description: salinity samples
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of profiles = 53|
|Subsurface temperature and salinity measurements||Quantity: activity duration in hours = 132|
|Transparency (eg transmissometer)||Quantity: track kilometres = 7408|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of recoveries = 20|
Description: current meters recovered, average duration of measurement 20 days
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 43|
Description: current meters deployed
|Current profiler (eg ADCP)||Quantity: track kilometres = 7408|
Description: Shipboard ADCP
|Current profiler (eg ADCP)||Quantity: number of stations = 3|
Description: bottom mounted ADCP
|Nitrate||Quantity: track kilometres = 7408|
|Nitrite||Quantity: track kilometres = 7408|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Primary productivity||Quantity: number of experiments = 5|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: track kilometres = 7408|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 10|
|Bottom photography||Quantity: number of deployments = 1|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Quantity: number of deployments = 1|