RV Corystes COR8/91
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1991-08-16 — 1991-08-31|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To measure the distribution and abundance of commercial flatfish species by means of a beam trawl survey as part of an ICES coordinated programme covering parts of Divisions IV a-c and VII d&e.
2. To collect additional biological data on sole, plaice, dab, turbor, brill and Cancer pagurus.
3. To describe the seabed sediments and epibenthos using photographic and trawl bycatch data.
4. To test the ROXANN acoustic seabed discrimination system against photographic and grabbing methods.
5. To add the 1900 data on comparative gear efficiency indices between the standard heavy 4m DFR beam trawl and the 8m beam trawl used by the Belgian and Netherlands Fishery Institutes, pulled by the RV BELGICA, if the priority of the surveys for both cruises allow.
6. To bring back to the laboratory alive: (a) adult sole for fecundity experiments; (b) spider crabs and other benthic organisms for UEA.
|Chief scientist||John D Riley (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.11 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: activity duration in days = 14|
|Optics (eg underwater light levels)||Quantity: activity duration in days = 14|
Description: continuous light studies.
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 93|
Description: beam trawls.
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 29|