RV Cirolana CIR12/92
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1992-12-01 — 1992-12-18|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To collect and process surface water (and bottom water from selected sites) from UK coastal waters for the analysis of Tc, I, Co (Cs) and transuranic radionuclides as part of a pre-EARP survey (AE0104, NFSP, MAST II).
2. To determine the present oxidation state distribution of transuranium elements in UK coastal waters and the speciation of Co in the eastern Irish Sea (AE0104A).
3. To conduct further studies of actinide colloid distributions in the Irish Sea and run supporting trials to investigate the ultra-filtration technique for seawater colloid separations (AE0104A, NFSP).
4. To isolate and concentrate the dissolved organic carbon in sea water in order to assess the nature, size distribution and relative amounts of the various colloidal organic components present (University of Newcastle).
5. To study the surface sediment and water concentrations of U, Th, Ra, Po and Pb radionuclides and nutrients in the immediate vicinity of the Marchon outfall and further offshore in the eastern Irish Sea. Part of this work is to be done in conjunction with a small charter vessel (AE0104B).
6. To collect a large volume sample of surface Atlantic water for low-level radionuclide intercomparison purposes (Tc etc) as part of ongoing collaborative studies with our colleagues in other European countries (AE0104A).
7. To deploy near-bed rigs in Newburgh Bay (AE0207AQ).
|Chief scientist||B R Harvey (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Coordinating body||NFSP/MAST II|
|Cruise report||(0.22 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Selected sites from around UK.|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 57|
Description: surface S only
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 3|
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of samples = 37|
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of samples = 37|
|Nitrite||Quantity: number of samples = 37|
|Silicate||Quantity: number of samples = 37|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 37|
Description: naturally occurring radionuclides
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 19|
Description: Surface Cobalt ,Caesium, Plutonium, Americium, Iodine-129
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 72|
Description: surface Technetium-99