RV Corystes COR8/92
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1992-06-26 — 1992-07-21|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out two plankton surveys using a 53cm high speed tow net fitted with the Guildline CTD monitoring system to:
a) locate a patch of crab (Cancer pagurus) larvae in unstratified water in the eastern English Channel
b) locate a patch of crab larvae in stratified water in the western English Channel.
2. To study the vertical distribution of crab larvae in both areas using the LHPR sampler.
3. To obtain stock indices of abundance for pre-recruits and fishable scallops on standard survey grids in the western English Channel, using dredges and underwater cameras.
4. To collect samples from scallop grounds in the eastern English Channel for ageing studies.
5. To test modifications to the underwater sledge.
6. To do a trial survey of the sea bed sediments using the Rox Ann system and underwater camera sledge.
7. To test a new dredge for sampling off-shore clam populations.
8. To continuously monitor the chlorophyll 'a' fluorescence temperature and salinity of sub-surface sea water.
9. To take discrete sub-surface sea water samples for salinity determination at each plankton station and throughout the working area.
10. To collect specimens of molluscs for the Conchological Society and English Heritage.
|Chief scientist||Brenda M Thompson (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.14 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: activity duration in days = 25|
Description: continuous T & S
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 80|
Description: surface S only
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 60|
|Optics (eg underwater light levels)||Quantity: activity duration in days = 25|
Description: continous light measurements.
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: activity duration in days = 25|
Description: continuous fluorescence
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of stations = 60|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of stations = 60|
|Molluscs||Quantity: number of stations = 113|
Description: scallop dredge stations.
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 30|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Quantity: number of image series = 18|
Description: video of seabed type