RV Corystes COR5B/93
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1993-05-11 — 1993-05-31|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To survey an experimentally dredged site off N.Norfolk, using grab, dredge, underwater camera and RoxAnn.
2. To photograph and sample the dredged area using divers.
3. To survey the Barrow-in-Furness dredged material disposal site D using grab, dredge, sidescan sonar and RoxAnn.
4. To sample the sediment and benthos by grabbing and beam trawling at NMP sites throughout the survey area.
5. To collect sediments by grabbing and coring for physical, biological and chemical analysis at the Tyne sewage sludge disposal site and to sample epibenthos by beam trawling.
6. To collect sediment samples throughout the Tyne-Souter area for PCB analysis.
7. To collect sediment samples throughout the survey area for development of various sediment normalisation techniques.
8. To investigate possible sites (eg the Celtic Deep and Burbo Bight) for the collection of sediment cores for the determination of background metal concentrations.
9. To collect Modiolus and other epifauna off the Humber for biological and chemical analysis.
10. To assess the quantity of litter, if any, present at the Tyne and Liverpool Bay sewage sludge disposal sites.
11. To survey the dredged material disposal sites at Dover and Roughs Tower using sidescan sonar.
12. To survey the Hastings Shingle Bank aggregate extraction area using sidescan sonar.
13. To survey the dredgings disposal site used for the depositon of material extracted from the experimental aggregate area (aim 1) using grab, dredge and sidescan sonar.
14. To collect a set of 25 sediment samples from Liverpool Bay for the development of the McLaren procedure to determine sediment transport directions.
15. To collect sediment samples from various sites in the JMG sediment baseline survey grid to act as a Quality Check.
16. To investigate the potential use of sidescan image enhancement equipment.
17. To measure the volume of the waste deposited at the Wearmouth colliery waste/dredged material disposal site.
|Chief scientist||Steven M Rowlatt (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Burnham Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.29 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Specific||North Sea, Channel, SW Approaches and Irish Sea.|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 10|
Description: 2m beam trawl samples of epibenthos were taken along the western coasts of England and Wales.
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Description: Day grab samples.|
|Long/short range side scan sonar|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Description: ROXANN bottom sediment typing system|