RV Corystes COR11B/93
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1993-10-18 — 1993-10-29|
|Port of departure||Liverpool, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To survey the seabed and sample benthos at the experimental site off Anglesey (Ref. 53 25.539N; 04 01.548W) fished intensively with a 4m beam trawl fitted with chain mat in April 1993.
2. To beam trawl and sample the experimental site along the four lines designated for frequent fishing disturbance (two times per year) using two intensities of fishing (x10 and x20 tows).
3. To estimate the survival rate of animals caught in the cod-end using the on-board survival system over a prolonged period.
4. To measure the effect of tow duration on the survival of animals which pass through the mesh of the beam trawl.
5. To film predators attracted to a baited camera frame on the sea bed using various components of the by-catch.
6. To quantify the number of macroepibenthic animals moving onto trawled tracks by sampling with a 3m beam trawl.
7. To measure the variance of sampling with the benthos dredge.
Aims 4, 6 and 7 were not completed due to a lack of time available.
|Chief scientist||B E Spencer (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Conwy Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.34 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 60|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Dredge||Quantity: number of deployments = 34|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 136|
|Long/short range side scan sonar||Quantity: number of hauls = 16|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Description: underwater camera|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Quantity: number of deployments = 6|
Description: ROXANN bottom sediment typing system