RV Cirolana CIR11/94
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1994-10-21 — 1994-11-24|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a groundfish survey of the North Sea using a standard GOV trawl in order to obtain information on:
(a) Distribution and abundance of all fish species.
(b) Length and age distribution of commercially important species.
(c) Distribution of fish in relation to their environment.
(d) Distribution of macrobenthos and anthropogenic debris.
2. To collect material for fish identification courses.
3. To provide fish samples for contaminant analysis.
4. To collect samples of herring (Clupea harengus) for the study of Ichthyophonus disease.
5. To collect biological data from ling (Molva molva), catfish (Anarhihcas lupus), silvery pout (Gadiculus argenteus), poor cod (Trisopterus minutus), four-beard rockling (Rhinonemus cimbrius) and bib (Trisopterus luscus).
6. To collect fish food.
7. To investigate seabird feeding on discards (JNCC Aberdeen).
8. To carry out further trials of electronic data capture equipment.
9. To collect berried crabs.
10. To collect surface and bottom temperature and salinity data using reversing bottles.
11. To collect whiting tissue samples as part of the EC Molecular Genetics programme, and herring samples for molecular genetic research at Swansea University.
12. To make new estimates of weighing error variances.
13. Following completion of the grid, if time permits, to replicate a random selection of stations to estimate within survey variance.
14. To investigate the feasibility of improving benthos sampling.
15. To investigate whether ranging problems encountered with the 80kg Pols balance used on Cirolana 9/94 were caused by a fault in the balance or whether the problems are common to both 80kg Pols balances.
16. To collect whelk samples for studies on the effects of antifouling chemicals by Netherlands Institute for Sea Research.
17. To collect squid samples for biological studies by Cork University.
|Chief scientist||John Cotter (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.15 MB)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 80|
Description: 1 with T only top & bottom, reversing bottles
|Biology and fisheries|
|Birds||Quantity: activity duration in hours = 34|
Description: continuous observation by JNCC
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 73|
Description: GOV trawl:length, age,distribution,identification,contamination
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: trials of electronic data capture equipment|