RV Corystes COR4/94
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1994-04-07 — 1994-04-26|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To survey the sea bed and sample benthos at the experimental site off Anglesey (ref. 53.25.539N; 04.01548W) fished intensively with a beam-trawl fitted with chain mat in October 1993.
2. To beam trawl and sample the experimental site along the four lines designated for frequent fishing disturbance (two times per year) using two intensities of fishing (x10 and x20 tows).
3. To estimate the survival of animals caught in the cod-end using the on-board survival system over a prolonged period.
4. To estimate presence and activity of predators over trawled tracks using diver observations.
5. To film predators attracted to a baited camera frame on the sea bed using various components of the by-catch.
6. To quantify the number of macroepibenthic animals moving onto trawled tracks by sampling with a 3m beam trawl.
7. To measure the survival of animals which pass through the mesh of the beam trawl.
8. To measure the variance of sampling with the benthos dredge.
|Chief scientist||B E Spencer (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Conwy Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.14 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytobenthos||Description: benthos survey on site fished intensively by beam trawl|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 107|
Description: beam trawl tows.
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: diver observations for presence of predators|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Dredge||Quantity: number of deployments = 44|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 144|
Description: experimental sites for effects. Surival experiments
|Bottom photography||Description: for predators attracted to a baited camera frame|
|Long/short range side scan sonar||Quantity: number of deployments = 20|