RV Corystes COR6/94
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1994-05-23 — 1994-06-06|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To survey the sea bed and sample benthos at the experimental site off Anglesey (ref. 53.25.539N; 04.01.548W) fished intensively with a beam-trawl with chain and mat in October 1993.
2. To beam trawl and sample the experimental site along the four lines designated for frequent fishing disturbance (two times per year) using two intensities of fishing (x10 and x20 tows).
3. To estimate the survival of animals caught in the cod-end using the on-board survival system over a prolonged period.
4. To estimate presence and activitity of predators over trawled tracks using diver observations.
5. To film predators attracted to a baited camera frame on the sea bed using various components of the by-catch.
6. To quantify the number of macroepibenthic animals moving onto trawled tracks by sampling with a 3m beam trawl.
7. To measure the survival of animals which pass through the mesh of the beam trawl. Not done due to lack of time.
8. To measure the variance of sampling with the benthos dredge.
|Chief scientist||Julian David Metcalfe (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.18 MB)|
|Specific||Central North Sea|
|Current profiler (eg ADCP)||Description: tidal stream vectors to determine fish swimming speed|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Taggings||Description: test telemetry tag decoder|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: number of hauls = 13|
Description: data tag storage programme - survival of plaice - beam trawl
|Geology and geophysics|
|Long/short range side scan sonar||Description: sector scanning to describe movement of plaice and cod|