RV Clione CLI11/70
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Clione (74CN)|
|Cruise period||1970-08-27 — 1970-09-06|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To collect age/length key and stomach content material from North Sea plaice and dab populations and to deep freeze whole plaice for biochemical analysis.
2. To survey the benthos in selected areas using the underwater camera and the Peterson grab.
3. To investigate the feeding chronology of plaice as an approach to estimating their rate of feeding in the wild.
4. To make a trawl and hydrographical survey in the areas where dead fish have been reported by Lowestoft vessels.
5. To tag dabs and spurdogs on selected grounds using Peterson discs.
6. To collect cod heads for pineal gland studies (Mr Bye), whiting for eye parasite studies (Marine Laboratory, Aberdeen), amd small gadoids for turbot food (Mr a Jones).
7. To collect plankton for the copepod rearing programme (Mrs Thompson).
|Chief scientist||R Colin A Bannister (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.30 MB)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 5|
|Oxygen||Description: invest. of dead fish report|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of stations = 5|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of hauls = 1|
|Nekton||Quantity: number of hauls = 2|
|Eggs and larvae||Quantity: number of hauls = 1|
|Phytobenthos||Description: Petersen grab - underwater camera in use|
|Zoobenthos||Description: Petersen grab - underwater camera in use|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 1|
Description: for tagging and experimental use
|Other meteorological measurements||Description: sea and swell|