RV Cirolana CIR2/95
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1995-02-09 — 1995-03-02|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To sample fish eggs on a grid of stations throughout the Irish Sea and in Cardigan Bay using a 76cm unencased high speed plankton sampler. The area will be sampled twice during the cruise.
2. To take additional samples in selected areas where fish eggs are abundant. These samples will be sorted live and prepared for specific identification by ISO-electric focussing.
3. To take profiles of temperature and salinity at each plankton sampling station using the sampler mounted Guildine CTD unit.
4. To take discrete surface salinity samples at each station for CTD sensor calibration.
5. To collect zooplankton samples for ATCase measurements and for testing the regional copepod model.
6. To take trawl samples to collect ovaries of plaice and cod for the estimation of Atresia and spawning duration.
|Chief scientist||John H Nichols (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.18 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Specific||Eastern and Western Irish Sea, Cardigan Bay|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 191|
Description: surface S only
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 191|
Description: uncalibrated CTD
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 191|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of samples = 191|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 23|