RV Corystes COR7/95
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1995-06-26 — 1995-07-08|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To test and calibrate the recently upgraded sector scanning sonar system.
2. To estimate swimming speed and orientation of acoustically tagged plaice on their summer feeding grounds by simultaneous use of the sector scanning sonar and the ADCP.
3. To test methods of releasing acoustically tagged cod from cages at sea, and to estimate the swimming speed and orientation of the fish by simultaneous use of the sector scanning sonar and the ADCP.
4. To collect blood samples from live plaice through a 24h period for analysis of melatonin levels in relation to diel activity cycles.
5. To use free floating sonar buoys to record sea noise in relation to the tidal cycle.
6. To track plaice equipped with attitude sensing acoustic transponding telemetry tags.
|Chief scientist||Julian David Metcalfe (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.13 MB)|
|Specific||Southern North Sea|
|Current profiler (eg ADCP)||Description: ADCP|
|Other physical oceanographic measurements||Quantity: activity duration in hours = 12|
Description: hours ambient sea noise
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 20|
Description: half hour tows carried out both during the day and at night.
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: number of measurements = 2|
Description: fish tracking