RV Cirolana CIR6B/96
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1996-06-28 — 1996-07-15|
|Port of departure||Swansea, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To collect samples of water and demersal fish for chemical analysis from the Irish Sea and North Sea in support of the UK National Monitoring Plan (NMP) and Environmental Quality Objective Programmes.
2. To collect samples of demersal fish for arsenic analysis in the vicinity of Beaufort Dyke, North Channel.
3. To carry out sediment, water and fish sampling for biological effects studies in relation to the Sea Empress oil spill in Milford Haven.
4. To collect fish samples at NMP sites for biological effects studies using biochemical techniques and genetic toxicological analysis. Appropriate water samples for chemical analysis to support this work will also be taken. To collect sediments for bioassay in support of the NMP.
5. Sediment sampling for a baseline study of contaminants around England and Wales.
6. Bathymetric survey of area 107 (an aggregate extraction area).
7. To deploy liquid/liquid extraction techniques on water samples from offshore and estuarine locations for chemical analysis and biological effects studies.
8. To conduct a microfauna survey of the Swansea Bay dredged material disposal site and the NMP sites 605 (Celtic Deep) and 805 (SE Isle of Man) using the Bowers and Connelly mini multiple-corer.
9. To sample sediments and macrofauna at a proposed dredged material disposal site off Milford Haven using a Day grab.
10. To collect 2m beam trawl samples at appropriate NMP and related sites for the identification and enumeration of epibenthos.
11. To collect sediment samples from a grid of 16 stations in the vicinity of the Liverpool Bay sewage-sludge disposal site.
12. To collect sediment and/or macrofauna samples at aggregate extraction sites in Liverpool Bay, Area 107 and Race Bank using a Day grab and/or a Hamon grab.
|Chief scientist||John Edward Thain (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Burnham Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.19 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Specific||Milford Haven, Irish Sea and North Sea|
|Track charts||(0.02 MB)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Pelagic fish||Description: fish survey, chemical analysis|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: biological studies effect|