RV Corystes COR5A/98
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1998-04-30 — 1998-05-09|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||To survey areas in the English Channel previously sampled by Norman Holme in the 1950s using the following techniques:
1. Time permitting, side-scan sonar survey to ascertain the recent intensity of fishing at each site and to determine habitat characteristics.
2. Sample the epibenthic community in close proximity to Holme's stations using repeated tows (5 min duration) of a 2 m beam trawl fitted with a stills camera to obtain images of the seabed and quantitative estimates of epifauna.
3. Collect specimens of live bivalves at each station using an anchor dredge for determination of historical fishing intensity and communicy composition (NP0309).
4. Collect sediment samples at each station using a Day grab for sedimentological analysis.
5. To collect starfish using a 4 m beam trawl for laboratory experiments. Record the occurrence and damage rate of starfish and retain them for laboratory analyses.
6. Collect live lemon sole for Dr. Howell.
|Chief scientist||Michel J Kaiser (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Conwy Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.09 MB)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of samples = 19|
Description: 2m beam trawl samples.
|Demersal fish||Quantity: activity duration in hours = .75|
Description: tow using the 4m beam trawl.
|Geology and geophysics|
|Dredge||Quantity: number of hauls = 25|
Description: Seventeen anchor dredges and eight dredges.
|Grab||Quantity: number of deployments = 5|
Description: Day grabs
|Bottom photography||Quantity: number of surveys = 2|
Description: still camera surveys.
|Bottom photography||Quantity: number of surveys = 3|
Description: video surveys
|Long/short range side scan sonar||Quantity: number of surveys = 3|
Description: side-scan sonar surveys