RV Corystes COR9B/98
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1998-09-08 — 1998-09-28|
|Port of departure||Swansea, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Liverpool, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out the annual beam-trawl survey of groundfish in the Irish Sea, Bristol Channel and Celtic Sea.
2. To collect data on maturity and weight at age of sole, plaice and lemon sole.
3. To determine the distribution and relative abundance of juvenile and adult sole and plaice.
4. To quantify the seabed sediments and epibenthos using the QTC acoustic seabed discrimination system and trawl by-catch.
5. To collect fish samples in support of other CEFAS projects and training course.
6. To collect and process surface sea water for the analysis of 99Tc and Cs radionuclides as part of the Irish Sea project.
7. To collect sediment cores for analysis of accumulation of 99Tc and Cs radionucclides in the Irish Sea.
8. To collect surface sea water samples for processing on return to Lowestoft for the analysis of tritium.
9. To collect live plaice and sole for transportation by a local fishing boat to the laboratory at Conwy.
|Chief scientist||Martin R Vince (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.21 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Specific||Irish Sea, Bristol Channel, Celtic Sea|
|Track charts||(0.02 MB)|
|Subsurface temperature and salinity measurements||Quantity: number of hauls = 101|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 101|
Description: hauls made using the 4m beam trawl.
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of stations = 13|
Description: Reineck corer