Unplanned service interruption - 28 October 2016 15:00 BST - ongoing
Some online delivery is affected
RRS Discovery D147
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Discovery (74E3)|
|Cruise period||1984-04-26 — 1984-05-17|
|Port of departure||Oporto, Portugal|
|Port of return||Falmouth, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To make the first of four cruises planned to examine biogeochemical fluxes in the N.E. Atlantic working transects in latitude from the shelf to ridge at 5° intervals of longitude. The 42N and 50N transects were to be worked on this cruise, sampling to be carried out by in situ filtration and water bottles.
2. To identify fronts on the 42N transect by thermosalinograph and XBT records and sample water and particulate materials in the fronts.
3. To collect samples of airborne, sea surface and deep water particulate matter in order to determine sources, cycles and fluxes of Pb isotopes.
4. To obtain samples for microbiological analysis in conjunction with the biogeochemical fluxes studies.
5. To carry out the second of three cruises that comprise the Phytodetritus programme. On this cruise:-
(a) To sample superficial sediment and benthic phytodetritus for microbiological, chemical and taxonomic investigation.
(b) To examine the effect of recently deposited detritus on chemical fluxes across the sediment-water interface by an in situ incubation technique.
(c) To quantify the vertical flux of phytodetritus throughout the water column using a sediment trap mooring.
(d) To sample the benthic meiofauna.
(e) To obtain samples of phytodetritus in midwater for chemical analysis using the FIDO package.
6. To test the MkIII porewater sampler.
|Chief scientist||William Simpson (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Wormley Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.78 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Track charts||(0.01 MB)|
|Bathythermograph||Description: A number of XBTs were deployed during the cruise. No. of deployments not noted.|
|CTD stations||Description: A number of CTD casts were made throughout the cruise|
|Subsurface temperature and salinity measurements||Description: A number of samples were collected during the cruise. No. of samples not noted.|