RV Corystes COR10/99
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1999-10-06 — 1999-10-11|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To survey the seabed using sidescan around the proposed Minipod and Loggerpot locations to detect obstructions and assess seabed morphology.
2. To undertake sediment surveys using the Day grab to collect sediment samples for calibration of optical suspended load sensors.
3. To deploy 2 Minipods and 3 Loggerpots in a line NE from the Hastings Shingle Bank dredge area.
4. To determine lateral and longitudinal dispersion and composition of the plume at 5m using a towed body passing through the sediment plume generated by the dredger.
5. To determine the current regime around Hastings Shingle bank by undertaking a 13 hr ADCP section across the site.
6. To undertake a sidescan sonar and biotope survey of the area as part of the Biotope survey project (at night).
|Chief scientist||Jonathon Mark Rees (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.96 MB)|
|Specific||Hastings Shingle Bank|
|Subsurface temperature and salinity measurements||Quantity: number of deployments = 3|
Description: Loggerpots deployed in a line NE from the Hastings dredge area and sediments samples were collected at each site.
|Current profiler (eg ADCP)||Quantity: activity duration in hours = 13|
Description: ACDP survey
|Other physical oceanographic measurements||Quantity: number of deployments = 2|
Description: Minipods and Guard buoys deployed in a line NE from the Hastings dredge area and sediments samples were collected at each site.
|Suspended matter||Quantity: number of profiles = 2|
Description: CTD for calibration of optical sensors with rosette to obtain suspended sediment samples
|Suspended matter||Quantity: number of samples = 100|
Description: Tadpole towed body containing the LISST particle size analyser, the CEFAS micrologger and also a pumped water supply to the surface. Samples taken for suspended load and particle size analysis
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of stations = 16|
Description: Duplicate Hamon Grab sediment samples taken to characterise the seabed in terms of sediment composition and biological community
|Bottom photography||Quantity: number of stations = 16|
Description: TV pictures of the Loggerpot and Minipod stations
|Long/short range side scan sonar||Quantity: track kilometres = 277.8|
Description: 60 miles of sidescan sonar data collected from an intensive survey box (100% coverage), 90 miles from a wider regional survey