RV Cirolana CIR4A_1/00
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||2000-05-22 — 2000-06-01|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To survey dredged material disposal sites at the Tyne (Souter Point), Tees, South Falls, Inner Gabbard (outer Thames estuary), Nab Tower (Isle of Wight) and Swansea Bay for trace metal contaminants, TBT, PAHs and other organic contaminants and benthos (including meiofauna at the Tyne), using grab and acoustic methods.
2. To conduct a special intensive survey at the Roughs Tower disposal site following cessation of capital disposal, using AGDS, bathymetry, grab and unerwater camera.
3. To sample a transect of stations from the mouths of the Tyne and Tees estuaries to nearby dredged material disposal sites, and from the Solent to the Nab Tower disposal site, for later analysis of TBT in sediments.
4. To sample representative offshore NMMP locations using grab, core and trawl for trace metal contaminants, PAHs and other organic contaminants (including nonylphenols, flame retardants and HCs) and the benthic fauna.
5. To sample surface waters at representative offshore and intermediate NMMP locations for nutrients and chlorophyll and for phytoplankton species.
6. To conduct pilot sampling at gravelly locations following cessation of aggregate dredging.
7. To conduct a survey of the benthos and sediments at the Thames sewage-sludge disposal site.
8. To sample horse-mussels from the Humber/Wash area for later analyses of contaminants in flesh.
9. To sample the sediments and benthos off the Tyne for time-series studies using grab, core and beam trawl, including extra sampling at the sewage-sludge disposal site and continuation of sampling within a temporal box.
10. To carry out sampling at a selection of stations previously worked as part of the ICES 1986 North Sea Benthos
NB: This cruise is in two parts
|Chief scientist||Hubert Llewelyn Rees (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Burnham Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.64 MB)|
|Track charts||(0.02 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: continuous logging of data throughout the cruise,|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 4|
Description: two using the 2m Beam trawl and two using the 3m Beam trawl.
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Description: Day grabs and Hamon grabs.|
|Bottom photography||Description: trial of a new digital camera using the 'drop' camera frame.|
|Bottom photography||Quantity: number of deployments = 8|
Description: camera dips using video and the digital stills system were carried out between Dungeness and Hastings.