RV Corella 10/71
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corella (74CX)|
|Cruise period||1971-06-01 — 1971-06-10|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a survey of the distributions of fish eggs and larvae
and other planktonic organisms in the Flamborough and Southern Bight
spawning grounds in the southern North Sea.
2. To collect a series of samples with the changing net sampler to
study vertical distribution of fish larvae.
3. To monitor transparency, chlorophyll A and temperature continuously
in the sea surface water.
4. To collect salinity samples on each station occupied.
5. To record fish traces using an MS29 echo sounder.
6. To collect samples of water for trace element analysis by atomic
7. To collect cores of bottom sediments for heavy metal analysis.
8. To measure temperature/depth profiles at selected stations.
9. To release sea bed drifters at nine stations in the Flamborough
10. To collect samples of suspended material, including algae from
selected stations to calibrate the Turner fluorometer.
11. To collect for examination by Dr J D Dodge for dinoflagellates.
|Chief scientist||Derek Harding (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.19 MB)|
|Water bottle stations||Description: 122 surface 3 S bottom|
|Optics (eg underwater light levels)||Quantity: number of stations|
Description: optical properties cont.
|Surface drifters/drifting buoys||Quantity: number of deployments = 443|
|Trace elements||Quantity: number of stations = 4|
Description: water samp. for analysis
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Description: chlorophyll a cont.|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of stations = 122|
|Phytoplankton||Description: analysis for dinoflagellates|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of stations = 122|
|Eggs and larvae||Quantity: number of stations = 122|
|Acoustic reflection on marine organisms.|
|Occasional standard measurements|
|Other meteorological measurements||Description: sea and swell|