FRV Scotia 0903S
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (748S)|
|Cruise period||2003-06-04 — 2003-06-23|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To obtain estimates of distribution and abundance of Nephrops in the Fladen Ground, Firth of Clyde, North Minch, South Minch and Stanton Banks using underwater television. If time permits, the survey will also include stations in the Sound of Jura, Noup and Devils Hole.
2. To make use of the TV survey to estimate the densities of other shellfish species and benthic organisms and to record evidence of trawling activity.
3. To collect samples of the sediment at each TV station.
4. To carry out Nephrops trawling in each stratum throughout the survey areas for size and sex composition analysis and examination of biological features.
5. To collect samples of Nephrops for comparison of reproductive condition and morphometrics in different areas.
6. To collect samples of Arctica islandica for studies of shell chemistry and age.
7. To collect fish tissue samples to investigate parasite levels.
|Chief scientist||Ian D Tuck (Fisheries Research Services Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.06 MB)|
Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Fladen Ground, Devil's Hole, Minches, Firth of Clyde, Sound of Jura and Stanton Banks|
|Track charts||(00 MB)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: number of stations = 182|
Description: TV stations
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of stations = 182|
Description: Day grabs for sediment