RV Cefas Endeavour 10/03
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cefas Endeavour (74E9)|
|Cruise period||2003-11-03 — 2003-12-04|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||This cruise was in 2 parts. Part 1: 03 - 19 Nov; Part 2: 20 Nov - 04 Dec 2003.
1. To carry out a trawl survey of the Irish Sea, Celtic Sea and western Channel (ICES divisions VIIa, e-j) as part of the west coast IBTS series and in support of the EU data regulations, to obtain information on:
a) distribution, size composition and abundance of all fish species;
b) age - length distribution of selected species for ICES WG input and biological studies;
c) biological parameters of selected species;
d) suitability of modified GOV trawl with rockhoppers and standard station grid for this new survey series.
2. To sample areas of VIIg and h with 2 m beam trawl to quantify epibenthos and fish, locate alternative fishing stations and to collect data on juvenile megrim.
3. To continue the development and testing of electronic data capture equipment and the new Fishing Survey System.
4. To collect material for fish identification courses.
5. To monitor the distribution and abundance, and to collect data on Ommastrephid squids.
6. To collect and preserve frozen, all scallops Pecten maximus that are caught (D. Palmer, CEFAS).
|Chief scientist||James Robert Ellis (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.80 MB)|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Track charts||(00 MB)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zoobenthos||Description: 2m beam trawl.|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of stations = 61|
Description: successfully fished with GOV or Portuguese High Headline Trawl.
|Crustaceans||Description: 2m beam trawl.|