RRS Discovery D62
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Discovery (74E3)|
|Cruise period||1974-05-24 — 1974-06-03|
|Port of departure||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The main purposes of the cruise were:
1. To check the hydrodynamic stability of the 'Gloria' Mk II model when towed by two alternative towing arrangements.
2. To gain experience in the operational use of 'Batfish' and to verify navigational procedures for covering a set grid pattern relative to the water.
3. To check the compensating capabilities of the forward compensated hydrographic winch.
4. To prove various Data Processing programmes and techniques, processing of records from Batfish and Gloria Mk II model and setting up navigational grids for Batfish.
5. Tp pressure test a guided profiling current meter case, and to check the necessary ballasting for free fall down a wire.
6. To check recording techniques when using a micro-current meter.
|Chief scientist||William E Elford (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Wormley Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.49 MB)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Gear research||Description: GLORIA towing and BATFISH trials took place during the cruise. No of trials not noted.|