RV Edward Forbes 16/75
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Edward Forbes (74EF)|
|Cruise period||1975-08-21 — 1975-09-08|
|Port of departure||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Barry, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To establish an area in Start Bay for the detailed study of sandwaves and associated dune bed forms.
2. To lay a waverider buoy for subsequent dune studies.
3. To carry out trials with a prototype 'non-trawl' transponder sinker.
4. To carry out sonar trials (a) with various objects to establish their sustainability for use as passive acoustic reflectors, (b) in a vertical tow mode.
5. To carry out acceptance trails of the Decca Tracer buoy, and continue the development of the concept of Differential HiFix.
6. Survey the Port of London Authority trial dredged channel within the sandwave field using Differential HiFix.
7. To carry out field trials with Rangemaster relative position fixing system.
|Chief scientist||D Nicholas Langhorne (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Taunton)|
|Cruise report||(0.59 MB)|
|Specific||Start Bay, Outer Thames Estuary|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Gear research||Description: Trials of prototype 'non-trawl' transponder sinker.|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Description: echosounder survey to determine area for detailed studies of sandwaves and associated dune bed forms.|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Description: Diver observation of the lee slope of a major sandwave in the area.|