Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||Prince Madog (74PD)|
|Cruise period||1983-07-11 — 1983-07-15|
|Port of departure||Menai Bridge, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Menai Bridge, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||To study sediment bioturbation off the Cumbrian coast at Sellafield. This work to be carried out by the diving team involving:
1. quantitative biological surveys of selected areas.
2. sampling of selected species of benthic animals.
3. investigation of burrow systems by a resin cast technique
4. photographic and TV observation of selected seabed areas.
5. collection of a number of sediment core samples for natural radioisotope measurements.
|Chief scientist||D J Swift (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.07 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of samples = 6|
Description: were taken, three box and three sediment. Two cores were analysed for 234 thorium and 210 lead. Two box cores were sectioned and samples were taken for plutonium and americium. The other two cores were retained for longitudinal sectioning and CR39 alpha-track analysis.
|Bottom photography||Quantity: track kilometres = 11.112|
Description: of comprehensive video record of the seabed. Close up pictures of selected burrow structures were also taken.