FRV Clupea 0505C_1
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Clupea (74CU)|
|Cruise period||2005-04-01 — 2005-04-09|
|Port of departure||Fraserburgh, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Campbeltown, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To undertake Agassiz (dropped) underwater television (UWT), grab and RoxAnn surveys of the Skye and Lochinver dredged material disposal sites to assess the condition of the seabed, identify the predominant benthic epifauna species, and the distribution of man-made debris.
2. To undertake Agassiz (dropped), underwater television (UWT), grab and RoxAnn surveys at two potential sea disposal sites and one existing site off Islay.
3. To undertake Agassiz, grab, RoxAnn and underwater television (UWT) surveys at potential fish waste disposal sites in the vicinity of Skye and Kirkcudbright.
4. To undertake water, and sediment sampling for the National Marine Monitoring Programme and, to collect water samples as part of the Scottish Coastal Eutrophication Assessment Survey at the Clyde and Solway Firth stations.
5. To undertake Agassiz, grab, RoxAnn and underwater television (UWT) surveys at potential dredged material disposal sites in the vicinity of Whitehills. (Contingency)
6. To undertake grab and underwater television (UWT) surveys at Guillam Bank to complete work started in 2004. (Contingency)
7. Sediment samples for Objectives 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 will be analysed for heavy metals (limited), PCBs (limited), PAHs and TBT. Particle size and total organic carbon will also be undertaken.
8. To collect radio caesium water samples from Cape Wrath and Sandside Bay in the Pentland Firth.
|Chief scientist||Peter Hayes (Fisheries Research Services Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.08 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Specific||Islay; Skye; Kirkcudbright; Clyde; Solway Firth; Whitehalls; Guillam Bank|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 6|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 66|
|Bottom photography||Quantity: number of track lines = 7|
Description: Underwater television transects.
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Quantity: number of surveys = 5|
Description: RoxAnn surveys for determination of any manmade debris.