RV Cefas Endeavour 9/05
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cefas Endeavour (74E9)|
|Cruise period||2005-05-29 — 2005-06-14|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Swansea, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The cruise is in 2 parts. Part 1: 29 May - 05 Jun; Part 2: 05-14 Jun 2005.
1. To undertake a baseline survey at aggregate extraction area 408, using a range of techniques, prior to restoration action being undertaken later in the year.
2. To survey dredged material disposal sites at the Blyth, Souter Point (Tyne), Tees Bay, Inner Gabbard and Inner Gabbard East (outer Thames estuary), Roughs Tower (off Harwich), Nab Tower and Needles (Isle of Wight), Rame Head (off Plymouth) and Swansea Bay for benthos and for trace metal and organic contaminants in sediments, using grabbing, coring and acoustic methods.
3. To sample representative NMMP locations using grabbing, coring, acoustic and trawl methods for trace metal and organic contaminants, litter and the epi-, macro-, meio-, and micro fauna.
4. To sample the benthos and sediments for time-series studies using the Hamon grab, in the vicinity of aggregate extraction sites off the Isle of Wight, Lowestoft and in the Eastern English Channel.
5. To sample horse-mussels from the Humber/Wash area for later analyses of contaminants in flesh.
6. To carry out a short sidescan sonar survey at an aggregate extraction site in the outer Wash.
|Chief scientist||Keith Malcolm Cooper (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.63 MB)|
|Bathythermograph||Description: Multi-beam bathymetric data showing possible outcrops of Sabellaria reef was successfully obtained at Saturn Reef.|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zoobenthos||Description: 2m beam trawl.|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 3|
Description: baseline grabs.
|Bottom photography||Description: Underwater TV to groundtruth the acoustic data collected.|
|Multi-beam echosounding||Description: Multi-beam bathymetric data showing possible outcrops of Sabellaria reef was successfully obtained at Saturn Reef.|
|Long/short range side scan sonar|