RV Corystes CORY 3/05
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise identifier||CORY 3/05|
|Cruise period||2005-09-16 — 2005-10-05|
|Port of departure||Swansea, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Swansea, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a 4m beam-trawl survey of groundfish to i) obtain fisheries independent data on the distribution and abundance of commercial flatfish species, and ii) derive age compositions of sole and plaice for use in the assessment of stock size.
2. To collect biological data including maturity and weight at age of sole, plaice, lemon sole and other commercially important finfish species as part of CEFAS requirements under the EU data regulations.
3. To determine the distribution and relative abundance of juvenile and adult sole and plaice.
4. To quantify epibenthos using 4m beam trawl by-catch.
5. To collect surface seawater samples for processing on return to Lowestoft for the analysis of caesium and tritium (AE001) (D McCubbin EFS).
6. To collect seabed sediment samples for analysis of caesium and tritium upon return to Lowestoft. (C2170) (K Leonard EFS).
7. To collect fish samples in support of other CEFAS projects and training courses.
|Chief scientist||Ian David Holmes (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.17 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Track charts||(00 MB)|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: Temperature and salinity taken at all stations from surface continuous seawater flow|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: Temperature and salinity profile recorded at all beam trawl stations with mini CTD unit|
|CTD stations||Description: Micro CTD unit attached to beam trawl|
|Trace metals||Description: Surface seawater samples for tritium and causium analysis|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytobenthos||Description: 4m beam trawl|
|Zoobenthos||Description: 4m beam trawl|
|Demersal fish||Description: 4m beam trawl|
|Crustaceans||Description: 4m beam trawl|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Description: Day grab|
|Core - soft bottom||Description: Nioz corer|
|Core - soft bottom||Description: Vibro-corer|