RV Cirolana CIR3B/97
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1997-03-21 — 1997-04-04|
|Port of departure||Falmouth, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a trawl survey of the western Celtic Sea to obtain information on:
(a) Distribution and abundance at length of all fish species.
(b) Age length distributions of selected species.
2. To sample juvenile fish for recruitment studies.
3. To collect material for fish identification courses.
4. To collect, and preserve frozen, any scallops that are caught.
5. To continue the collection of stomach content data begun on earlier cruises.
6. To continue the development of electronic data capture equipment.
7. To collect samples of herring for the study of the incidence of Ichthyophonus disease.
8. To monitor distribution and abundance and collect biological data on Ommastrephid squids (University College Cork, Ireland).
9. To monitor the distribution and abundace of whelks and whelk shells with hermit crabs. To freeze all whelks and whelk shells with hermit crabs for analysis at CEFAS, Conwy laboratory.
10. To sample the upper mid-water scattering layer, using the MIK-net, to investigate distribution and abundance of small prey items.
11. To trial the new Guidline CTDs on a plankton samplers and to rest the prototype acoustic sensor flow measuring device.
12. To collect and freeze specimens of selected species of elasmobranchs: to collect egg cases of dogfish and rays fixed in 70% ethanol for the University of Swansea.
|Chief scientist||John H Nichols (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.29 MB)|
|General||North Atlantic Ocean|
|Specific||Western Approaches; Celtic Sea; Northern Biscay|
|Track charts||(0.02 MB)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 30|
Description: Bottom salinity samples
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of profiles = 30|
Description: CTD profiles
|Biology and fisheries|
|Nekton||Quantity: number of hauls = 4|
Description: Upper mid-water scattering layer
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 34|
Description: Groundfish survey station