RV Cirolana CIR3B_2/99
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1999-06-01 — 1999-06-10|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To survey dredged material disposal sites at Swansea Bay, Nab Tower (Isle of Wight), Roughs Tower (outer Thames estuary), Tees and Tyne (Souter Point) for trace metal contaminants, TBT, PAHs, nonylphenols, flame retardants and benthos, using grab and acoustic methods.
2. To sample representative offshore NMMP locations using grab, core and trawl for trace metal contaminants, nonylphenols, flame retardants and the banthic fauna.
3. To sample horse-mussels from the Humber/Wash area for later analyses of contaminants in flesh.
4. To conduct further sampling at an experimentally dredged area off the Norfolk coast, using grab in order to establish the time required for recovery of the sea bed fauna.
5. To sample the sediments and benthos off the Tyne for time-series studies using grab, core and beam trawl, including extra sampling at the sewage-sludge disposal site and continuation of sampling within a temporal box.
6. To conduct a survey of the Tees estuary for nonylphenols and flame retardants.
All the aims were successfully completed.
|Chief scientist||David Stephen Limpenny (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Lowestoft Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.42 MB)|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 2|
Description: 3m beam trawl sites
|Geology and geophysics|
|Dredge||Description: Rallier du Baty dredge used to sample the benthic fauna.|
|Grab||Description: series of Day grab samples, Shipek grab and Hamon grab.|