FRV Clupea 0505C_2
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Clupea (74CU)|
|Cruise period||2005-04-10 — 2005-04-20|
|Port of departure||Campbeltown, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Fraserburgh, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To collect fish and biota samples for biological effects measurements using bottom trawl at the Stornoway dredged material disposal site. Sample preparation and preservation will be undertaken onboard Clupea.
2. To undertake Agassiz (dropped) underwater television (UWT), grab and RoxAnn surveys of the Skye and Lochinver dredged material disposal sites to assess the condition of the seabed, identify the predominant benthic epifauna species, and the distribution of man-made debris.
3. To undertake Agassiz (dropped), underwater television (UWT), grab and RoxAnn surveys at two potential sea disposal sites and one existing site off Islay.
4. To undertake Agassiz, grab, RoxAnn and underwater television (UWT) surveys at potential fish waste disposal sites in the vicinity of Skye and Kirkcudbright.
5. To undertake Agassiz, grab, RoxAnn and underwater television (UWT) surveys at potential dredged material disposal sites in the vicinity of Whitehills. (Contingency)
6. To undertake grab and underwater television (UWT) surveys at Guillam Bank to complete work started in 2004. (Contingency)
7. The biological effects samples for objective 1 will be measured for EROD, PAH and PC's, PAH metabolites and Vtg.
8. Sediment samples for Objectives 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 will be analysed for heavy metals (limited), PCBs (limited), PAHs and TBT. Particle size and total organic carbon will also be undertaken.
|Chief scientist||James C McKie (Fisheries Research Services Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.03 MB)|
|Cruise report||(0.08 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Specific||Islay; Skye; Kirkcudbright; Clyde; Solway Firth; Whitehalls; Guillam Bank|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of samples = 2|
Description: Water samples collected for analysis back at the laboratory.
|Radioactivity||Description: Water samples collected for radio-caesium analysis.|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of samples = 29|
|Bottom photography||Quantity: number of track lines = 12|
Description: Underwater television transects.
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Quantity: number of surveys = 11|
Description: RoxAnn surveys for determination of any man-made debris.