RV Corella 17/73
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corella (74CX)|
|Cruise period||1973-11-26 — 1973-12-06|
|Port of departure||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To determine the reactions of plaice to a Granton trawl by extending the series of experiments carried out on CORELLA 13 and 18/1971, 15, 16, 17 and 18/1972 and 3, 12 and 16/1973.
2. Capture of live dabs for use in laboratory experiments.
3. Collection of dab gonads and brains for histological examination.
4. Collection of flat and round fish pituitary glands for hormone analysis.
5. Collection of phytoplankton sample for Dr Dodge (London University).
6. Collection of live plaice for use on future cruises.
7. To salvage current meter rig at Station XC with the help of divers if weather was suitable on 26 November.
Sea bed trial tows were made with the headline height telemeter system and other tests were made using receiving transducers. All the fish taken, apart from those kept alive in tanks, were dissected and pituitary and pineal glands removed
|Chief scientist||J P Bridger (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.20 MB)|
|Specific||Southern North Sea: Texel area, Den Helder, Southwold-Aldburgh area, off the Suffolk-Essex coast, Smith's Knoll|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Seston||Quantity: number of stations = 1|
Description: Station XC. Plankton haul made
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 5|
Description: 3 hauls for flatfish made off the Suffolk-Essex coast. 2 trawl hauls made at Smith's Knoll for live flatfish
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of experiments = 28|
Description: On 21 occasions, tagged fish passed between the otter boards, on 12 occasions they were recaptured
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of specimens = 33|
Description: 18 plaice including 8 recaptured fish and 15 dabs were returned to the laboratory alive