RV Cefas Endeavour 13/07
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cefas Endeavour (74E9)|
|Cruise period||2007-06-18 — 2007-07-09|
|Port of departure||Swansea, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Weymouth, United Kingdom|
1. To collect samples of demersal fish for chemical analysis from the Irish Sea, North Sea and Eastern English Channel in support of the UK National Marine Monitoring Programme (UK CSEMP - previously NMMP).
2. To collect fish samples at CSEMP sites for fish disease and genotoxic markers (e.g. DNA adducts).
3. To collect fish samples at CSEMP sites for biochemical markers (e.g. EROD and bile metabolites analysis).
4. To sample representative CSEMP stations using grab, multicore and beam trawl for trace metal contaminants, sediment particle size analysis, PAHs and benthic fauna.
5. To collect biota where appropriate for the determination of imposex in support of OSPAR requirements.
6. To collect bulk water samples for radionuclide analysis in the Irish Sea
Scientific staff will arrive at the ship on the afternoon of Monday 18th June. An induction course will be conducted on the afternoon of the 18th June. RV Endeavour will sail from Swansea on the evening tide on the 18th June and sail to Carmarthen Bay to take samples under aims 1, 2, and 3. RV Endeavour will then sail to Cardigan Bay where samples will be taken at the CSEMP stations under aims 1, 2, 3 and 4. Further sampling will take place at CSEMP stations at Red Wharf Bay, Liverpool Bay (including trend samples), Morecambe Bay, SE Isle of Man and Dundrum Bay under aims 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. In general, sampling at these stations will be with the Granton trawl and Day grab sampling bulk water for radionuclide analysis (aim 6) will take place as RV Endeavour steams and completes the fishing stations for aims 1 to 5. After completing the sampling of stations in the Irish Sea Endeavour will then steam south where RV Endeavour will then take samples at stations along the south coast under aims 1, 2 and 3. Endeavour will then steam north to sample CSEMP stations at Rye Bay, Thames Warp and Gabbard under aims 1, 2, 3 and 5. Further North CSEMP stations on the East coast, Central North Sea and Dogger Bank under aims 1, 2 and 3 will be sampled. Endeavour will sail to Lowestoft to dock on the 10th July.
|Chief scientist||John Edward Thain (Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Burnham Laboratory)|
Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
|Specific||Irish Sea, Clyde, North Sea and English Channel|