RV Cirolana CIR5B/78
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1978-05-19 — 1978-06-05|
|Port of departure||Workington, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
1. To continue the examination of the distribution of strontium-90, caesium-I34, caesium-137, plutonium-238, plutonium-239/240 and americium-241 in sea water.
2. To determine the suspended load and particle size distribution in sea water and to measure the chlorophyll-a content at selected stations.
3. To continue the work on determination of the oxidation states of plutonium in sea water, sediments and interstitial waters.
4. To complete work on the shipboard concentration technique for the determination of total plutonium in sea water.
5. To measure concentrations of polonium-210, strontium-90 and radium-226 in seawater using a shipboard concentration technique and to collect a few plankton samples for subsequent analysis for polonium-210.
North-west of British Isles and North Sea.
Sampling grid: radionuclides, suspended load and salinity, chlorophyll a, seawater, suspended particulate material and radionuclides in water. Water processed for radio caesium, plutonium, americium, strontium-90, radium-226 and polonium-210, Pu+4/Pu+6. Also, coring attempted at 6 stations
|Chief scientist||J W R Dutton (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.67 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: stations: salinity and temperature measurements|
|Water bottle stations||Description: to take water samples|
|Subsurface temperature and salinity measurements||Description: stations: salinity and temperature measurements|
|Radioactivity||Description: stations: water processed for radio caesium, plutonium, americium, strontium-90, radium-226 and polonium-210, Pu+4/Pu+6|
|Suspended matter||Description: stations: suspended particulate material samples|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Description: stations: chlorophyll a samples|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Core - soft bottom||Quantity: number of stations = 6|
Description: coring attempted