FV Avon Valley Young Fish Survey 1986
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FV Avon Valley (74FV)|
|Cruise identifier||Young Fish Survey 1986|
|Cruise period||1986-09-09 — 1986-09-26|
|Port of departure||Mudeford, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Mudeford, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||Complete the survey in the area of Selsey Bill to Swanage Bay 9th - 13th. Push net sites samples throughout. Beam trawl survey of gravel extraction areas east of the Isle of Wight on 25th and 26th.
Young Fish Survey 1986 with: FV Alvic, FV Avon Valley, FV Challenge, FV Jo's Boys, FV Serenity, FV St Richard, FV Joanna J., FV Kimbill of Eden and FV Sharowna.
1. To carry out an inshore beam trawl and push net survey of part of the North Sea and English Channel coasts of young demersal fish in relation to the environment. To include collecting data for juvenile flatfish yearclass size estimation.
2. To continue studies of growth and mortality of young sole in the areas off Lowestoft and Rye Bay.
3. To carry out a beam trawl survey of gravel extraction grounds east of the Isle of Wight. (For AEP2)
1. In total in the Young Fish Survey. 313 hauls made using the standard 2m beam trawl and 52 push net sites using the standard 1.5m push net sampled. All fish caught identified and measured. Salinity and sediment samples collected and surface temperature, benthos, shrimp by-catch and dissolved oxygen (River Thames) observed at each station.
2. Lowestoft and Rye Bay. Detailed survey of the distribution and abundance of 0-group sole. Live 0-group sole were held in tanks for 24 hours then deep frozen for laboratory estimation of condition factors. Samples of 0-group sole collected for total lipid content analysis. Samples of 0-group sole and plaice collected for morphometric studies.
3. 26 beam trawl hauls were made in 5 gravel extraction areas east of the Isle of Wight. All fish caught were identified and measured and observations of benthos were recorded for each station.
|Chief scientist||Colin L Whiting (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.09 MB)|
|Specific||Scottish Border-Swanage Bay Selsey Bill, Swanage Bay, Isle of Wight|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: observations made at every station|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Biochemical measurements (eg lipids, amino acids)||Description: samples of 0-group sole collected for total lipid content analysis|
|Phytobenthos||Description: observations made at every station|
|Zoobenthos||Description: observations made at every station|
|Demersal fish||Description: distribution and abundance of 0-group sole|
|Demersal fish||Description: samples of 0 group sole and plaice for morphometric studies|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 52|
Description: (total throughout Young Fish Survey) push net sites
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 313|
Description: (total throughout Young Fish Survey) beam trawl survey of Selsey Bill to Swanage Bay and east of the Isle of Wight
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 26|
Description: 2m beam trawl survey in 5 gravel extraction areas east of the Isle of Wight
|Crustaceans||Description: by-catch of shrimp recorded at each sitation|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: deep frozen sole|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Description: observations made at every station|