FV Avon Valley Young Fish Survey 1988
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FV Avon Valley (74FV)|
|Cruise identifier||Young Fish Survey 1988|
|Cruise period||1988-09-01 — 1988-09-19|
|Port of departure||Mudeford, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Mudeford, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||Joint survey between: FV Alvic, FV Avon Valley, FV Challenge, FV Jo's Boys, FV Our Tracey, FV Sharowna, FV St Richard and FV Wash Harvester.
1. To carry out an inshore beam trawl and pushnet survey of part of the North Sea and English Channel coasts, of young demersal fish in relation to the environment. To include collecting data for juvenile flatfish year-class size estimation.
2. To continue studies of growth and mortality of young sole in the area off Lowestoft and in Rye Bay.
Team 1: Beam trawl survey of the Selsey Bill to Swanage Bay area 10th-14th September. Push net sites sampled throughout 1st-19th September.
Team 4: no ship listed. Departed from Bridlington to sample push net sites between the Wash and Berwick during 1st-10th September.
1. In total throughout the survey 320 hauls using the 2m beam trawl and 61 push net sites using the standard 1.5m push net sampled. 11 additional hauls made. All fish caught identified and measured. Surface salinity, temperature, sediment samples and benthos obervations made at each station. Shrimp by-catch recorded at each station. Observations of dissolved oxygen levels made at most stations in the Thames estuary and at all stations in the River Thames. Samples of plaice taken for age determination studies.
2. Lowestoft and Rye Bay. Survey of the distribution and abundance of 0-group sole completed. Live 0-group sole held in tanks for 24 hours then deep frozen.
3. Samples of 0-group plaice collected. O-group plaice caught in Bridlington Bay area were heavily infested with Rhipidocotyle sp. Samples from nephrops catches of other vessels processed.
|Chief scientist||Colin L Whiting (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.09 MB)|
|Specific||Scottish Border - Swanage Bay Selsey Bill to Swanage Bay area|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Description: Observations made at each station|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytobenthos||Description: Observations made at each station|
|Zoobenthos||Description: Observations made at each station|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 11|
Description: (in total throughout the young fish survey) additional hauls in the Selsey Bill to Swanage Bay area
|Demersal fish||Description: survey of the distribution and abundance of 0-group sole|
|Demersal fish||Description: samples of 0-group plaice collected|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 61|
Description: (in total throughout the young fish survey) pushnet sites in the Selsey Bill to Swanage Bay area
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 320|
Description: (in total throughout the young fish survey) beam trawl survey of the Selsey Bill to Swanage Bay area
|Demersal fish||Description: (in total throughout the young fish survey) pushnet sites between the Wash and Berwick, no. of hauls not noted|
|Demersal fish||Description: deep frozen sole|
|Crustaceans||Description: shrimp by-catch recorded at each station|
|Crustaceans||Description: Samples from nephrops catches of other vessels processed|
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Description: O-group plaice caught in Bridlington Bay area heavily infested with Rhipidocotyle sp.|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Description: Observations made at each station|