RV Prince Madog PD48/10
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Prince Madog (74P2)|
|Cruise period||2010-11-29 — 2010-12-03|
|Port of departure||Menai Bridge, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Menai Bridge, United Kingdom|
1. To collect Glycymeris glycymeris off the NW coast of Anglesey (53 38.63 N 04 21.15 W), off the Lleyn Peninsula (52 69.92 N 04 56 W) and in Cardigan Bay (52 26.98 N 04 68.71 W) using the Anchor Dredge.
2. To collect Arctica islandica in Caernarfon Bay (53 5.50 N 04 33.74W) and off the Lleyn Peninsula (53 3.75 N 04 33.75 W & 52 41.95 N 04 33.60 W) using the Arctica Dredge.
3. To collect polychaete worms from the Gutter stations (52 22.3 N 04 10.20 W) in Cardigan Bay for the National Museum of Wales, Cardiff.
4. To examine the population densities of Callista chione in Cardigan Bay (52 26.98 N 04 68.71 W).
5. Undertake a camera survey of the seabed macrofauna in Cardigan Bay (52 18.83 N 04 62.73 W).
|Chief scientist||Nick J E Jones (Bangor University School of Ocean Sciences)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Specific||NW coast of Anglesey, off the Lleyn Peninsula, Cardigan Bay, Caernarfon Bay.|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of samples = 33|
Description: Stations6 - Van Veen grab to collect polychaetes (Spionids) and bivalves associated with Upogebia Sp. in Cardigan Bay.
|Molluscs||Quantity: number of samples = 32|
Description: Station 7- Van Veen grab used to determine the density of Callista chione in Cardigan Bay
|Molluscs||Quantity: number of hauls = 9|
Description: Station 1- Anchor dredge at station 1 off the North coast of Anglesey, for Glycymeris glycymeris research
|Molluscs||Quantity: number of hauls = 7|
Description: Station3- Arctica dredge off Anglesey to collect specimens of A. islandica for research
|Molluscs||Quantity: number of samples = 14|
Description: Station 2- Day grab to determine the density of A. islandica off Anglesey. Arctica dredge to collect specimens for research.
|Molluscs||Quantity: number of hauls = 3|
Description: Station4- Anchor dredge used to collect G. glycymeris for research
|Other biological/fisheries measurement||Quantity: number of hauls = 13|
Description: Station 8- camera sledge (video and stills (colour, High Definition) used to determine the diversity of macrofauna on the seabed in cardigan Bay.