MV Briarthorn 1/74
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||MV Briarthorn (74B6)|
|Cruise period||1974-06-30 — 1974-07-08|
|Port of departure||Plymouth, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Leith, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The ship was on passage from Plymouth, following surveys in the Celtic Sea and the English Channel, to Leith, for preparation for surveys in the northern North Sea and Shetland areas. Plans were made to undertake passage work, as follows:-
1. Calibration of new Magnavox Intergrated Doppler Sonar Satellite Navigation System (hearafter SAT/NAV)
2. Gravity and shallow seismic surveys in the Irish Sea.
3. Passage line between Irish Sea and Sea of the Hebrides.
4. Detailed shallow seismic survey of Canna Tertiary Basin.
5. Seismic refraction profile across Canna Tertiary Basin.
6. Passage dog-leg profiles in West Orkney area.
Calibration of the SAT/NAV was given first priority. Irish Sea and Canna surveys second priority. Other work as possible
|Chief scientist||R McQuillin (Institute of Geological Sciences, Edinburgh)|
|Cruise report||(5.49 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Long/short range side scan sonar||Quantity: track kilometres = 630|
|Single channel seismic reflection||Quantity: track kilometres = 450|
|Seismic refraction||Quantity: track kilometres = 13|
|Gravity measurements||Quantity: track kilometres = 540|
|Magnetic measurements||Quantity: track kilometres = 440|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Quantity: track kilometres = 400|